Friday, December 19, 2008

DAY EIGHT - Extreme Makeover: Pony Edition

The makeover got into full force today with an epic mane pulling effort. Willow's mane is now lovely and short and she looks great. We also got some more tack - martingale and flash noseband to get the little tyke under control a bit more :) She's manageable without the gear, but it will hopefully help her be a bit more manageable with them.

I had her yarded until after the mane pulling at 1pm and then on Anna's advice, turned her back out into the paddock as the grass is very short (cheers Roly) and there is barely any green growth. I took her for a walk down to the river and stood her in it for ten minutes, she had a bit of an argument for the first 2 minutes but then gave in. I checked her feet tonight when rugging her and they're still a bit warm, but I don't want to leave her standing still all night so I don't think there's much more I can do. I will see how she is in the morning, and if it rains (as it's supposed to) I will yard her with some hay for a bit. Will start feeding her Founderguard which will hopefully help and then keep fingers and toes crossed. She hasn't been lame or sore at all, just slight heat (inflammation) in the hooves around the coronet, but it's not hot, just warm. Am hoping it's just her adjusting to the richer grass. Meanwhile I will just keep giving her light exercise.

It's meant to pour with rain tomorrow, so the beach ride may be off. We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment