Friday, December 12, 2008

DAY ONE - Out of the gate...

Took Willow's rug off at about 9am as its a warm day. The alpacas were up near the yards giving me that look that I've learned means "food would be nice" so I went and got them some pellets and put them in their feeder. Willow was very interested in this and came over to investigate, which meant the alpacas had to run a sort of gauntlet into the yard and then eat with their backs to the mysterious pony creature. Pollyanna, uncharacteristically, was the bravest and charged on in, and Heathcliff followed her. Vanessa and Teena, my greediest of girls, were next in line, but were very cautious of going past the pony. Vanessa decided it was probably time to suck it up and introduce herself, so she went cautiously over and sniffed noses with the pony while Teena ducked around behind her and grabbed some grain while the scary pony was otherwise occupied. Nessa's bravery didn't last too long and she leapt backwards and ran off, Teena at her heels (still chewing undoubtedly). After that no-one else was brave enough to go near until the pony had moved along. Finally Tommy (astonishingly, the little wimp) wandered in when Willow was halfway up the other side of the field, and with the help of Ellie Mae, cleaned up the grain in the feeder.

It rained lightly all morning but because it was predicted to get worse, I rode at about midday so as to avoid the predicted downpour. Willow was good to handle and tack up, absolutely no worries about anything except stamping her near fore down when I was done picking it out. So we picked it up and had her put it down nicely a few times. She can be a bit obstinate but is generally quite quick to give in once she's satisfied that you know what you're doing, are in charge, and mean what you say. :)

My saddle is a reasonable fit on her, I will probably pad it up before our long rides at camp, but my saddle blanket has fleece padding sewn into it along the backbone so that would have made it more comfortable. She has a small girth gall (or the makings of one) on her off side behind her elbow, but where my saddle sits on her, the girth doesn't rub that area. Nonetheless, I will get a fleece girth cover for her to make sure it doesn't get worse.

I led her through the paddocks wearing her tack, much to the astonishment and consternation of the alpacas. I think Heathcliff has developed a bit of a crush on the pony, he's very keen to see more of her. Once through all of the gates, I mounted up and she stood like a rock. We headed up river, and were walking calmly and interestly along for about 100 metres before spying something utterly terrifying through the neighbours' fence. They have a few metal waratahs in the ground which are obviously a danger to horses, so they have put old car tyres on top of the waratahs to stop any wayward horses impaling themselves. Not that terrifying, I'd have thought, but apparently so as Willow proceeded to flip out. Eyes popped out of her head, nostrils were a'snorting, right up on her tippy toes, and despite my assurances and pats, she was convinced there was no way in HELL she was going that way, and spun around. Now she might be half Arab and quick on her feet, but I've ridden my share of part (and full) Arabs and if Anna's purebred 6yo Arab couldn't unseat me yesterday with his spooking every third stride (he even tried the old full stop from a quick canter) then Willow's little fussing wasn't going to bother me, and it didn't. I kept urging her forwards, and she was desperately trying to convince me that I misleading her, but eventually got brave and bounced past on springs.

Once we were past the terrifying tyres suspended in mid-air (as I can only assume they seemed to her, not quite sure why she was so upset by them, although part of it was undoubtedly her trying me out) I let her trot on, and we proceeded the next 100m or so at a pretty quick trot. Walking on down the track she chilled out and started to relax. She still wants to walk on the grass rather than the stones, but she was only shod yesterday and only had back shoes on then too so she might still be a touch footsore behind. We turned down past the horse paddocks towards the quarry and after stopping to sniff some other pony poo, walked calmly between two big concrete blocks without batting an eyelid, up past a huge pile of gravel and up the road to the main part of the quarry. Lots of bits of machinery sitting around, including a giant tractor tyre and some other tyres, barrels and a skip sitting up on blocks, but she didn't care about any of that. We walked through the quarry and about 300m away was a digger filling up a truck with sand, but this didn't faze her either. Brave girl.

We then went on down the road and turned left down Lancelot Rd. Trotted along the verge there quite happily and then between more concrete blocks and onto the back track that I used to use all the time. Now this used to be a loop that you went around and got back to the river track, but it's been years since I rode on it. There was an open area pointing back towards the quarry and this was when Willow first decided it was time to start thinking about heading home. Some quiet persuasion convinced her otherwise and we went on. Had a trot up the track and then walked down most of the way as its quite undulating ground. We reached the point where you used to be able to get out but there is a big lagoon there now and no way through. There was another path that went along the back of the horse paddocks that was still just visible, so I pointed her towards that. "No way," she said and did a quick 180 turn. Quick enough that I didn't stop her, but not so quick that I lost my balance. I turned her back and she turned again, so eventually I tucked my right hand behind my back to stop her pulling me around, and she had no choice but to turn right and go on. Once I'd made it clear to her that she was to do as she was told and that she doesn't get to decide when we go home, she bushwhacked bravely through the grass and blackberries (just a few) and up onto the next part of the ridge. Only the track here disappeared and the grass being well up over her knees, I had no way of telling whether we could go on or if we might fall into a hole. Pony spun around insistently and I made her wait for a moment before allowing her to go on back the way we'd come. She was very pleased that I'd seen sense finally!

Once out of the thicket we trotted on and then looped off to the left along another more well used looking track. This one goes over the undulating ground and then down a very steep hill. We walked (well, bounced) down the hill and then she walked keenly along the bottom and started up the next hill. Very impressive given that my old pony would've gone down the first hill and then scooted off up the next, whether I wanted her to or not! I let Willow canter on up the hill and she sprang up keenly. She has quite a short, bouncy canter stride but covers ground reasonably well. At the top of the hill she stopped, but I pushed her on and we cantered along and then down and up another one. Both quite enjoying ourselves. Another track led off that I had taken before to get back to the main river track, so I tried that one but I have no idea where it came out and it was very steep. Willow was all for going back the way we'd come, but I don't think she realised I was trying to do a loop. Anyway, we erred on the side of caution and did go back the way we'd come, without any further dramas although she got a little bit strong cantering all the way back along that track. However she does respond well to seat and came back to me really nicely. Someone has schooled her properly at some point and she is remembering quite well. Back through the concrete blocks and then walking all the way home on a long rein with absolutely no dramas. We went down to the river to look at the water and test her mettle, she didn't even blink and was all for going straight in, but we'd been out for around 45 min already so I thought it was time to finish for the day. Don't want to wear her out completely! Wasn't as worried about the tyres going home, although gave them a sidelong glance. I'm so used to my old pony stopping as soon as she got to our gate that I was surprised to have to rein Willow in when we got home. Dismounted and led her back through the fields with a loosened girth and lots of pats.

The alpacas bounced around with interest as we went back past them. I untacked her and washed the sweat off her belly and face and dirt off her legs. I pulled a bit out of her mane to see how she'd react, NOT impressed at all. Tensed her neck right up, stepped back to the length of her rope, and rolled her eyes at me. Pulling her mane is going to be a bit of a process, I can tell. But it has to be done! It's so bushy right now, she looks more like a Fraggle than a pony. I suspect bribes might help.

I washed her tail, which was interesting, as she was not really keen on it or sure what I was doing. Not too happy about the whole idea, but again, needs must. I managed to get it reasonably clean, and rinsed it out, despite her lifting her off hind leg (closest to me) off the ground and stamping it down from time to time, but she didn't try to kick at all which is good. She's going to need to get used to being hosed before camp! I cut about 4 inches off her tail, so now it is sitting just below her hocks. Shorter than I usually like it, but I'm sure the showies would approve, and it doesn't look too bad.

By this time, the sun had came out and it's been blazing ever since. Typical. At about 2.30pm I pulled the lupins in her paddock and I cut it in half with more tape, because I'm paranoid about her propensity to founder. The only yards we have are small alpaca sized ones that she could barely turn around in, so hopefully the dry grass she's on won't lead to any problems. It's mostly kikuyu which is pretty coarse. She's tubby and has been overweight for a while, judging by the fat deposits in her rump and her cresty neck, but they will eventually turn to muscle. She's still going to be flabbers when she gets to camp, but that will tone her up pretty well :)

Her training plan for the rest of the days leading up to camp consists of at least a 1 hour ride daily, then two rides daily the second week. She didn't sweat up too much today, despite the hill work, which is good, but we took it really easy today being the first time out. Steady hacking and interval training is going to be the making of her in the next few days. As long as she continues to behave herself, we're going to get along great. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment